7 February 2021
Kabul-- The 2021 Afghanistan Journalist of the Year Award is now open to all Afghan journalists, employed full-time or freelance, who have self-published or had work published or broadcast through Afghan and international media outlets, including online publishers.
Judging will be for a work published or broadcast in any medium in 1399 Solar year (March 21, 2020- March 20, 2021)
Reporters, Photojournalists, columnists, editors, and producers – staff, and freelancers -- who believe they have had outstanding achievements in 2020 can candidate themselves for this award. These achievements can be:
- Narrative and/or investigative journalism skills that cover long-form print/text pieces, video or television features and documentaries, radio/audio features and documentaries, including podcasts; and large multimedia projects, including those centered on data journalism that has caused a change and made authorities take action in resolving an issue.
- Creative media activity that has improved the media and reporting situation in the country;
- Illustrative and descriptive reports about any situation that normally fall behind from mainstream media coverage;
- Specific reports and media activities related to human rights, particularly the rights of women and children;
- Creative news report about Afghanistan that has attracted international media coverage.
Terms and Conditions
- The nominee should have at least one-year experience in the Afghan or international media organizations;
- The news report, print/text pieces, video or television features and documentaries, radio/audio features and documentaries, or photographs nominated for this competition should be about Afghanistan;
- The Piece of work for this competition should have been published or broadcast in 1399 Solar year (March 21, 2020- March 20, 2021);
- This competition is limited to Afghan citizens only.
There are no restrictions on nominations, nominees for the Afghanistan Journalist of the Year award can be nominated by third parties or a self-nomination.
Prize: Crystal plague and $500
The 2021 Afghanistan Journalist of the Year Award winner will be officially announced and honored during a special ceremony marking National Journalist’s Day in Kabul on March 17, 2021. Also, 10 other journalists who have received the highest scores from the jury will receive certificates of recognition.